Inspection & Test
Full range of inspection and testing available
Working in close partnership to keep you running:
- Domestic periodic inspection reports.
- Commercial periodic inspection reports.
- Industrial periodic inspection reports.
- Emergency lights periodic inspection reports.
- Emergency lights monthly checks and repairs.
- Fire alarm inspection and testing.
- Portable appliance testing (PAT).
The table below provides guidance on the frequency of formal inspections of electrical installations as well as routine checks.
|Type of Installation||Routine Check||Maximum Period between inspections and testing as necessary||Reference
(see notes below)
|Domestic||N/A||change of occupancy/10 years||N/A|
|Commercial||1 year||change of occupancy/5 years||1,2|
|Educational establishments||4 months||5 years||1,2|
|Hospitals||1 year||5 years||1,2|
|Industrial||1 year||3 years||1,2|
|Residential accommodation||at change of occupancy/ 1 year||5 years||1|
|Offices||1 year||5 years||1,2|
|Shops||1 year||5 years||1,2|
|Laboratories||1 year||5 years||1,2|
|Buildings open to the public|
|Cinemas||4 months||1 year||2,6,7|
|Church installations||1 year||5 years (quinquenially)||2|
|Leisure complexes||4 months||1 year||1,2,6|
|Places of public entertainment||1 year||5 years||1,2,6|
|Restaurants and hotels||4 months||1 year||1,2,6|
|Theatres||4 months||1 year||2,6,7|
|Public houses||1 year||5 years||1,2,6|
|Village halls/Community centres||1 year||5 years||1,2|
|Agricultural and horticultural||1 year||3 years||1,2|
|Caravans||1 year||3 years||N/A|
|Caravan parks||6 months||1 year||1,2,6|
|Highway power supplies||as convenient||6 years||N/A|
|Marinas||4 months||1 year||1,2|
|Fish farms||4 months||1 year||1,2|
|Emergency lighting||daily/monthly||3 years||2,3,4|
|Fire alarms||daily/weekly/monthly||1 year||2,4,5|
|Laundrettes||1 year||1 year||1,2,6|
|Petrol filling stations||1 year||1 year||1,2,6|
|Construction site installations||3 months||3 months||1,2|
It is your responsibility to have your installation tested.
After a test we send out a free reminder, to non domestic clients, before each retest date.
- Particular attention must be taken to comply with S1 1988 No 1057. The Electricity Supply Regulations 1988.
- S1 1988 N0 635 The Electricity at Work Regulations.
- See BS5266: Part : 1988 Code of practice for the emergency lighting.
- Other intervals are recommended for testing operation of batteries and generators.
- See BS 5839: Part 1: 1988 Code of practice for system design installation and servicing.
- Local Authority Conditions of Licence.
- S1 1995 No 1129 (Clause 27) The Cinematography (Safety) Regulations
Information taken from IEE guidance note 3
Get in touch
Please feel free to contact us (0115 922 6052 or firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information about any of the services that we offer, to discuss your requirements, or to book an appointment for an engineer to call in, remember, we do not charge call out fees.